At the World Podcast Network, we are always helping podcasters. If you are a podcaster who is listed on our network or if you are thinking of joining, you can subscribe to this blog and our newsletter so we can keep you informed.
Podcasters can learn how to grow their audience by subscribing to our newslettermailchimp-horizontal-signup-form
How To Grow A Podcast Audience in 2020 and 2021
- Ask your listeners within the first 30 seconds of each show.
- Post podcast episodes on a strict schedule and stick to that schedule. Announce your schedule at the beginning of each episode.
- Maintain good audio quality production for every episode.
- Add a blog post or transcript for every podcast episode.
- Create an accompanying YouTube video for every podcast episode.
1. How can podcasts increase their subscribers and fan base?The plain truth, subscribers are always more important than plays. That is because when people play your podcast episodes, they may or may not be enticed to listen to more of your episodes. As it is the job of the podcaster to get those people to subscribe, there are five things you can do to get the people who listen to become your subscriber.
In the beginning of your podcast episode, ask listeners to subscribe.Yes, it is a simple request and asking it, most people will subscribe. Podcasters can take a lesson from YouTube video creators. YouTube video creators do it all the time. In YouTube videos, the request to subscribe is usually mentioned in the first 30 seconds of the video. That is because video creators never know when a viewer will get bored and drop off. Since YouTube measures retention rate and places a huge value on it, which also influences video search results, podcasters should do the same. You never know when a play or download is coming from a listener who is ready to go to bed or got home from work. Likewise, they can also be listening early in the morning before they leave for work, driving in the car to the office, or jogging. At any time in your podcast episode, the listener can simply tune out. It is a good idea to get them to subscribe early and often. Podcasters can ask this in the beginning of each episode, because we never know which episode a listener will come from and what your first episode will be that they start listening. Add that request to every single episode, always within the first 30 to 60 seconds.
It is all about your first 30 secondsWhat do we say to get people to subscribe within the first 30 seconds? We simple state a benefit for joining your podcast and why they should subscribe. Tell them the value of them subscribing. For example, if your podcast is a music podcast, you can say “For the best podcast music while you relax, subscribe to our podcast.”
2. When is the best time to post your new podcast episode to get the most followers?Post your episodes on a fixed schedule. This is one thing we hear our visitors complain about. They never know when a podcast will post a new episode. A schedule of podcast episode releases makes people know when to expect your new episode. Podcasters need to decide on a weekly basis on the same day or days of the week. Following this one guideline can persuade potential subscribers to join your podcast. Since we are creatures of habit, we want to make sure that people know as it creates transparency between the podcaster and the followers.
How do you decide on a schedule for your podcast episodes?Just select one day of the week when you think you can persistently publish a new episode and stick to it. For podcasters that have a full-time job, use the weekend if possible. On your shows, episodes, and websites, announce that schedule so even if they do not initially listen to your show, they can read it and still be aware. For those podcasts on Anchor, Spotify, iTunes, etc, put the schedule in your podcast descriptions.
Remember TV Guide?If you remember TV Guide from the old days of television, this one weekly publication had every single TV show listed by day and time as well as what channel it was on. That is the model to follow since it worked so well.
Our New Podcast ScheduleAt the World Podcast Network, we are working on a new Podcast Schedule page where we tell our visitors whos podcast episodes are coming up. This page will mimic TV Guide’s model.
3. Good audio qualityThis one is obvious, but many podcasters still do not follow it. Your podcast needs good and professional audio quality which includes using a good microphone, editing, and post-production. Nobody will subscribe if they cannot hear the podcasters or if one person is in the background and the other is close to the microphone. In audio production, making sure the voice is clear is important.
4. Add a blog post or transcript of your audioBelieve it or not, most podcasters do not follow this guideline, but implementing it can do wonders for your podcast’s fan base. When we first started podcasting ourselves in 2005, we found that most podcasters had blogs that complimented their podcasts. Those blog posts would introduce the new episodes, just like we have now on Spotify, iTunes, Anchor, etc. Because major search engines, especially Google over Yahoo, index web pages by content and keyword, if you have your audio transcribed, you automatically get search engine optimization. Add that FULL transcript to a blog post. What will happen is that people will be drawn into your blog post when searching for a specific keyword on Google. Even if they do not read the full blog post, and 99% will not, you can post your audio file (MP3, OGG, WAV) right at the top and then people will click on the player link and listen. You can even add the MP3 that is linked to your Anchor or BuzzSprout account and it would register as a play.
Add a Player For Every One Of Your Podcast EpisodesOn the World Podcast Network, when you have a dedicated page, we include an audio player for every single MP3 or audio file connected to your podcast hosting platform, so you get the credit for plays or downloads. Our visitors can click on the play button and you get the credit on your hosting platform. We also link directly to your hosting platform’s episode so you can get the traffic there as well. In every blog post, mention that people can subscribe to your podcast. This can be easily done with HTML 5 (Hyper Text Markup Language) audio tag. If you need assistance from a web designer, have them add the tag for you.
5. Create an accompanying YouTube video for every podcast episodeYouTube is the biggest video search engine in the world and along with Google, having good rankings on both will assure your podcast audience grows fast. If you can get in front of the camera and record with your smart phone or cell phone, it will work wonders for your potential audience. Now if you cannot get in front of the camera, you can always create an audio video, meaning a video that has, well, no video. It has just audio. If you optimize it like a regular video for YouTube rankings, you also grow you audience there.
Subscribe to our blog to learn tips and tricks on growing your audience and feel free to join our mailing list.On the World Podcast Network, it is our job and goal to promote podcasters and help them grow their audience. That comes from us doing all of the following:
- showing all of your episodes (both past and future episodes)
- featuring your podcast episodes
- providing links to your podcast platforms including Anchor, BuzzSprout, etc
- providing links to popular content platforms like Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, etc
- connecting your potential audience to the right type of content and category
Listen to our podcast on podcasting success!
- S3 E10 Successful Podcasters: Reena Friedman Watts Of The Better Call Daddy Podcast
- S3 E9 Why Podcasters Need Canva For Podcast Marketing
- S3 E8 How Does AI Define Podcasting And What Equipment Does AI Think You Need To Podcast?
- S3 E7 - Why Your Podcast Is Not Growing Fast Enough
- S3E6 - Podsafe Music 4th Of July With Shari
- S3 E5 - Does Your Podcast Need A Script?
- S3 E4 - Is SoundCloud Really A Good Platform For Podcasts? Should You Be On It?
- S3 E3 - How To Make Good Money Playing Podsafe Music On Your Podcast
- S3 E2 - Jay Fairbrother - Mastermind Groups For Podcasters Featuring The Music Of Lian Gold
- Why Are There So Many Podcasters Today? The Competition Out There And How To Survive. | S3 E1
- Meet Podcast Guest JoshPele Magic - Available Now As A Guest For All Podcasts | S2 E29
- Season 2 Bloopers, Funny Moments, & Inspiration Moments In 2022 With Co-Hosts And Guests
- What Are YOUR 2023 Goals For Your Podcast? Here Are Mine... | S2 E28
- The Reasons Your Podcast Needs A Holiday Episode | S2E27
- S2 E26 - Dave Jackson From The School Of Podcasting Tells What A Good Podcast Is
- S2E25 - Quora Marketing Basics For Your Podcast
- S2E24 - 7 Reasons Why There Are So Many Podcasters And How To Compete
- S2E23 - Secrets To Getting More Podcast Downloads
- S2E21 - 10 Ways To Make Your Podcast Episodes More Exciting For Your Audience
- S2E20 - Response To 2018 Episode On Podcast Network On School Of Podcasting
- S2 E19 I Listened To 1000 Podcast Episodes (Part 2) Here Is What The Most Successful Ones Do.
- S2 E18 - What Inspired YOU To Become A Podcaster?
- S2E17 - 7 Cool Ways To Make Your Audience Come Back Every Episode
- S2E16 - 3 Surprising Ways A Blog Will Grow Your Audience FAST!
- S2E15 - Simple 3-Part Marketing Strategy For Any Podcast
- S2E14 - Take Your Audience Along On The Date
- S2E13 Is Your Podcast More Successful With Seasons, Or NO Seasons?
- S2E12 - The Fastest Way To LAUNCH Your Podcast
- S2E11 - The FASTEST Way To Edit Your Podcast
- S2E10 -How To Get High Google Rankings For Your Podcast
- S2E9 - Would Elon Musk Invest In YOUR Podcast?
- S2E8 - The Most Sought Out Podcast Categories Summer 2022
- S2E7 - How To Improve Your Podcast By Listening To Others
- S2E5 - Fresh Music Series With Hugh Macdonald & Holland Nelson And Melo Mafioso
- S2E4 - Fastest Way To Make Money Summer 2022
- S2 E3 - Monthly Podsafe Music Show For Your Podcast - 5 Songs From Singer/Songwriter Doug Cash
- S2 E2 - Monthly Podsafe Music Show With Doug Cash, Winchester 7, And Bruce Chamoff
- S2E1 - Monthly Music Show With Winchester 7 And The Runners
- EP51 - The Right Way To List Your Podcast Guests
- EP50 - Running Out Of Episode Ideas? How To Brainstorm Fast!
- EP49 - How To Become An Influencer Through Your Podcast
- EP48 - Vik Rajan Of PhoneBlogger.net And Https://videosocials.net/
- E47: Rob Intellisano Of The Amazon Hit Gravesend
- EP46 - How To Build A Podcast Community With Adrian Miller
- EP45 - Easy & Fun Podcast Editing Tips W/Professional Podcast Editor Merrill Loechner
- EP44 - Marketing Your Show On LinkedIn With Marc Halpert
- EP43 - Benefits Of A Podcast Network With Guest Rich Butler
- E42 - What Makes You Successful With Guest Tim B
- EP41 - The Best Instagram Hashtags For Podcasts
- E40 - More Benefits Of Podcasters Blogging W/ The Delaware Blogger Guest Antionette Blake
- EP39 - Why Podcasters Need A Mobile App With Guest John Lee
- E38 What Makes YOUR Podcast Successful With Guest Frank Sasso
- E37 - Facebook/Instagram Down? What Affected Podcasters Can Do.
- E36 - How To Make Single-Host Podcasts Work
- E34 Q&A With Professor Pete Alexander: My Audience Has Dropped! Now What?
- E33: Upcoming Episodes For September And October 2021
- E32 Blogging For Podcasters - The Process
- E31 Why Blogs Make Your Podcast MORE Successful
- E30 The POWER Of Your Podcast's RSS Feed (Video)
- E29 - Subscribe To Your Podcast Competition?
- E28 PodcasterLinks.com And MediaGirlNetwork.com
- E27 Successfully Podcasting With Your Smart Phone
- Daily Podcast Success Update For 9/2/2021
- E26 Best Time To Monetize Your Podcast
- E25 Can You Podcast From The Airport? From Las Vegas...
- E24 Treat Your Podcast Like A Lobster Roll
- E22 Do Guests Really Enhance Your Show?
- Daily Success Update:Education Podcasts Wed, Aug 11, 2021
- E21 Connecting With Your Podcast Audience To Grow Faster
- Daily Success Briefing Fri, Aug 8, 2021
- E20 Search Engine Optimization Strategies For Your Podcast
- E19 Podcasting During The Delta Variant Of Covid19
- E17 How To Beat The Competition On Apple Podcasts
- E16 Rapid Podcast Editing & Avoiding Pod Fade
- E14 Dual Podcast With Guest Podcaster Antionette Blake Part 2
- E13 Dual Podcast With Guest Podcaster Antionette Blake Part 1
- E12 How To Get More Engagement For Your Podcast Episodes With Guest Interviews
- E11 My Special Guests: Jeff And Jim Wood Of SwimAble
- E10 Surprise Visit To Philadelphia And Atlantic City
- E9: Special Guest Dominique Carson Journalist & Certified Massage Therapist
- E8: 8 Fun Audacity Effects For Podcasters
- PodKnow 2021 Online Podcasting Event With Conference Speaker: Merrill Loechner
- E5: I Listened To Over 1,000 Podcast Episodes And Here Is What I Found The Best Ones Do.
- E4 - Buzzsprout Was Down On Sunday, Feb 21, 2021. What That Means For YOUR Podcast. My Reaction...
- E3: Five Things To Do Right Now To Grow Your Podcast Audience Fast.
- E2 - Should Podcasts Have Beautifully Produced Introductions With Voiceover And Background Music (and What Your Audience Thinks Of It)
- E1 - Become A Successful Podcaster - Keep Listeners On Your Podcast Episodes Longer
- Become A Successful Podcaster With Bruce Chamoff - Audience Growth, Monetization, Marketing & More! (Trailer)